Update: Will Smith said Page six: “I accept and respect the academy’s decision,” after the academy announced he had been banned from the Oscars for the next 10 years.
The dishonored actor will not be able to take part in the Oscars in person or in practice and he will not be nominated for an Academy Award for the next decade.
A tough decision was announced on Friday, April 8, after the academy’s board of governors met through Zoom to determine his fate for slapping comedian Chris Rock on March 27.
Smith, 53, went on stage and slapped 57-year-old Rock after he joked about the hair loss of comedian Jada Pinkett Smith at the 2022 Oscars at the Dolby Theater.
The 54-member board, including Hoopi Goldberg and Steven Spielberg, made the decision Let Smith keep his Oscar.
The meeting was postponed from April 18 to Friday after Smith resigned from the academy last week.
Participants said the Zoom meeting was “controversial” until they finally decided to ban the “King Richard” Oscar winner for the next 10 years.
According to a StatementThe Academy “has decided that, for 10 years from April 8, 2022, Mr. Smith will not be allowed to attend any of the Academy’s events or programs, in person or in person, including but not limited to the Academy Awards.”
The statement continued:
“We would like to express our deep gratitude to Mr. Rock for his restraint in unusual situations. We would like to thank our hosts, nominees, presenters and winners for their courtesy and kindness during our telecast. We are taking this step today in response. Will Smith The conduct is a step towards a larger goal of protecting the safety of our performers and guests and restoring confidence in the academy. “
According to The sunBoard members were “bitterly divided” over whether to restore Smith’s Best Actor trophy.
However, they finally decided that past winners like Harvey Weinstein would still have the hypocrisy of snatching their trophies.